Too many people make the mistake of trying to make life as easy and comfortable as possible.
This is pervasive in our day and age.
Everything has become so easy and automated.
But seeking out ease and comfort at the expense of challenge is a monumental mistake.
That is, if your goal is to be happy and feel alive.
The all-too-real situation billions face today is that comfort and ease are eating away at us.
There is too much ease.
In the past, almost everything was hard, and it was rare for most people to have things too easy.
In our day, we have to go out of our way to experience things that are physically hard.
Today we actually have to combat ease by purposely adding hard things to our life…if we want to be deeply happy.
Did you realize that?
It’s not a joke.
If we want to be happiest, we should seek out and embrace pain and discomfort regularly.
Don’t believe me?
Go do something extremely physically difficult for you.
Give it your best shot.
I guarantee there will be satisfaction and your confidence in yourself will rise.
I had a realization the other day on this when I thought about why I am so drawn toward adventures in the mountains.
(Mountain near my home in winter)
Or like this:
(Mountain near my home in summer)
There is nothing easy about hauling yourself and all your gear 6-7000 feet up and down a mountain.
It is pretty much wrought with pain and difficulty.
Yet I hadn’t thought much about the value of that pain until the other day when I heard a story about how an ex-Navy seal lives his life.
He seeks out the most difficult things he can find every day and revels in doing them. Like:
- Lots of challenging workouts.
- Going on multiple runs in a day sometimes.
- Hundreds and hundreds of pushups or pullups. Just constantly dropping and doing pushups whenever and wherever.
- Going to bed hungry just because its hard.
And then it dawned on me that the fact that adventures are painful and difficult is a huge part of what draws me to them.
Working through that pain produces joy, satisfaction, and confidence.
And then I realized that lately I have been avoiding other ‘non-adventurous’ hard things…
…to my own detriment.
I was reminded that:
- Pain and challenge are my friends.
- I should seek challenge just because of the huge value it provides.
- One of the core pillars of a Truly Amazing Life is to grow.
- If I’m not growing I’m dying.
- There is no comfort in the growth zone, and there is no growth in the comfort zone.
How about you?
Is it time to get un-comfortable?
Maybe it’s time to flip the script on pain and challenge in your mind if you haven’t already.
Get more hard things in your life purposely!
- Seek out more challenge.
- Go workout regardless of the weather today!
- Be glad if it’s sleeting in your face because you’ll get so much more value from it.
- Go to bed hungry sometimes just because.
- Do hard things just because you want more hard things in your life.
HARD = GROWTH
If you’re growing you’re living.
Try it and see before dismissing me as crazy.
Make today amazing!