“What wonderful benefits are going to come out of this adversity?”
Those are the questions on my mind as I sit here in the tub this fine afternoon. And they are on my mind a lot lately. And they are sincere questions, and I fully expect and know I will find answers to them, or else I will create answers to them.
As it turns out, the tub is about the only place at the moment where I can induce relief from the burning pain in my back side. I set a shelf across the tub to hold my computer…a perfect portable water desk!
I will spare you all of the gory details, don’t worry, but in brief I’ve been experiencing consistent waves of burning hot pain in the nether region for the past 30 days. I’ve seen 2 specialists and they are telling me it’s an ‘anal fissure’ and it will just take time and some medication and fiber to heal. It is extremely uncomfortable. I got about 3 hours of sleep last night because of it, which has been an off and on occurrence the past month.
Meanwhile, I am content to let it heal, and I am intrigued and lifted as I search my mind for the answers to those 2 questions.
I share this with you for one reason, to give you the context for this question:
“What thoughts do you think to yourself when your circumstances become difficult or painful?”
Do you ever think any of these?
- Why me? Why now?
- Of all the times this could happen, why now?
- I’m a good person, why do these hard things keep happening to me?
- Why does this always happen just when things are going so well?
- What did I do to deserve this?
- If there was a God, he wouldn’t allow this kind of pain or suffering!
- I can’t do this! I don’t think I can go on another day with this pain. I think I would rather die than continue with this pain.
Do you notice a trend in these? Life is unfair. I can’t do it. Wah, wah, wah.
How are those types of thoughts helping or serving you?
How about these thoughts?
- Wow! That hurts. There must be something really, really good in this!
- Ouch! I’m not a huge fan of that feeling. Hmmm…there must be something really good coming.
- What advantages will this pain bring?
- How will this benefit me?
- I don’t like this feeling, but I know that this too shall pass. And I’m intrigued to see what good comes from this?
- All these things will be for my good, and give me experience.
- All things are working together for my good.
- What can I do to take advantage of this situation?
- How can I make this pain serve me?
- I know that every adversity carries the seed of an equivalent advantage. And this adversity is pretty intense. So there must be some amazing things that can come out of this. I’m going to look for them, and find them.
- I know I can endure this. And I know that it is making me stronger and better.
- I’m grateful that I have this opportunity to grow, and I intend to take full advantage of it and learn everything I can from it.
- Thank you God, for this truly amazing life experience!
Do you feel the difference in the second round of thoughts? Do you think those thoughts would be more beneficial to you than the first set?
I know that they are. So my choice is to keep thinking the second thoughts.
And it is a lot easier for me to do that now that it used to be. Because thoughts are very habit forming. And I have been telling myself those thoughts for years and years now, so its super easy for me to keep doing it now.
And because of all the amazing results I have experienced from thinking them, I have zero doubt in their truthfulness. I know without doubt that all things that come into my life are there to serve and benefit me.
Do you know that?
If you doubt that at all, I encourage you to just try on those 2nd set of thoughts for size. Just try them out next time you feel pain or hardship and see how they feel. Test them out and see what results you get. I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised.
And if you keep trying them, in time you will be in the habit of thinking the 2nd way, and you won’t even bother with the first type of thoughts. They won’t even cross your mind anymore.
And your life can then be nothing short of Truly Amazing.
All Things Work Together For Your Good
When you get to the place where there is zero doubt that “all things work together for your good”, life can be nothing but amazing. Because there is awe, wonder, and amazement and ALL things.
Can you see that?
Can you see that the meaning you attach to everything is your own choice?
I want to help you choose to see all things as benefiting you. Because when you see life that way, your life becomes Truly Amazing.
Please let me know how I can help you. I want to know what your concerns and challenges are with this. What is holding you back from seeing life that way?
Or if you just agree wholeheartedly and your life has been Truly Amazing for years, I want to hear your thoughts too!
Please comment and let me know what you think. And I will do my best to give you feedback or guidance if I can.
My Tub…My Temporary Solace 😉
So from my tub, and in spite of the pain that is doing nothing to stop me from seeing my life as amazing, I invite you to choose to believe and see that ALL things that come your way are there to benefit you.
And while I don’t think I’ve yet found all the ways my current adversity will benefit me, I’m excited to find out! I do know this, there is absolutely something really, really good in this.
Remember…To Choose To See Your Life As Truly Amazing Is To Make It So.